Blackpool Winter Gardens 9 – 11 November 2017
A live competition to find the most talented and creative designer who is a member of NAFAS
Rules and Regulations
- Open to one member of each Area of NAFAS. An Area can only enter one named designer to represent their Area who must be a member of NAFAS. In the event of illness or other valid reason the Area may substitute their representative for another.
- No charge is made for entering Designer of the Year Competition.
- The competitor must be aware that this competition will be staged during public show times and members of the public will be allowed to view the designing/building process.
- The competition will take place over 3 consecutive days with elimination after each session. Round 1 will have 21 competitors, round 2 will have 10 competitors and the final round will have 5 competitors. The winner will be selected from the finalists.
- All materials and components in round 1 will be at the competitor’s expense, rounds 2 and 3 will consist of an imposed designs exhibit where all materials and components will be provided.
‘The World of Pantomime’
The total overall exhibit in round one must contain the following three separate pieces of work.
- A bouquet for a pantomime character
- A welcome design for a theatre foyer depicting a pantomime. Title to be included
- A hanging design (This needs clarification of how it will be staged
- Natural plant material must predominate.
- The competitor must provide a mood board showing inspiration for the design, which must not exceed A3 in size.
- Fresh plant material must be in water or water retaining material unless such material remains turgid for the duration of the show.
- Artificial plant material is not permitted.
- Additionally coloured and manipulated plant material may be used.
- Any item requiring special time or expertise for its preparation may be brought ready assembled for incorporation in the overall exhibit as stated in the NAFAS Competition Manual Third Edition 2015
- Aerosol / spray painting is not permitted in the hall.
- Competitors wishing to use glue guns or other electrical equipment may do so only if accompanied by a valid P.A.T. certificate.
- No plant material or accessories should extend beyond the limits of the staging.
- Each exhibit will be staged in a grey shell scheme booth 3m wide x 2m deep 2.5 m high on grey carpeting.
- Although every care is taken to ensure accuracy, all measurements are approximate. All exhibits must be staged within the space provided, using the specific staging. Attachments to and moving of staging is not permitted.
- The competitor’s own lightweight drapes may be used, but must be hung over the top of the background staging or attached to or draped over the exhibitor’s own free standing secure support.
- The exhibit will be viewed and judged from the front.
- Details relating to the hanging exhibit will follow on acceptance.
- A further working space will be provided and a 2m trestle table will be available.
- The exhibit must remain in place until dismantling on Saturday 11 November from 6pm.
- No outside help may be given regarding preparation or construction of an exhibit.
- Official stewards will be on hand to assist with any lifting or supporting of heavy objects and will steward the viewing public.
- Additional lighting is available for the shell scheme booths and is chargeable at £185 +VAT. If used this must be booked and paid for by 1 October 2017.
- Unloading of all materials and components may take place on Wednesday 8 November between 7pm and 8pm.
- Staging for round 1 will take place on Thursday 9 November between 9.30am and 2.30pm.
- Staging for round 2 will take place on Friday 10 November between 10am and 1pm.
- Staging for round 3 will take place on Saturday 11 November between 10am and 1pm.
Rounds 2 & 3
- During rounds 2 & 3 the competitors may only use items from a basic workbox: scissors secateurs, knife, pliers, small saw, oasis fix, pot tape and reel wire.
Judging and Awards
- Judging will follow the criteria at stated here.
- The Judging Panel will view the designing/ building process during staging. The panel will consist of three NAFAS National Judges and one Floristry judge.
- Please note the bouquet will be handled by the judges.
- Judging for round 1 will take place between 2pm and 5pm on Thursday 9 November. Successful competitors will be notified directly if they are required to take part in round 2.
- The bouquets from the successful competitors will be showcased in the Floral Catwalk Show at 6.30pm.
- Judging for round 2 will take place between 2pm and 4pm on Friday 10 November and successful competitors will be notified directly if they are required to take part in round 3.
- Judging for round 3, the final, will take place between 1.30pm and 3.30pm on Saturday 11 November. The successful Designer of the Year will be announced from the stage in the Empress Ballroom at 5pm
- All times are approximate and subject to change.
- The decision of the Judging Panel is final.
- The winner of the competition will be awarded; The title ‘NAFAS Designer of the Year 2017’
- A special glass trophy which may be retained by the winner.
- The winning competitor will receive a cash prize of £250.
Maintenance of Exhibits
- Competitors are required to maintain their exhibits in prime condition for the duration of the show. Maintenance of exhibits may be carried out from 8.30 to 9.30am each morning.
- All competitors’ property is at their own risk and they must be responsible for their own insurance.
Badges and Tickets
- Each competitor will receive two competitor’s show passes valid for the duration of the show. These will be issued on arrival at the Winter Gardens.
- Each competitor will also receive two complimentary tickets for each day of the show.
- Access to the venue is not permitted without a valid pass, these must be worn at all times. These passes are not transferable.
Each NAFAS Area must submit the name of the Designer who will take part in the competition by 1 September 2017, together with a short 50 word biography about the designer and a photograph for inclusion in the show brochure.
DOY Competition Co-ordinator
For all details and enquires please contact;